Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Physics assignment

Let's get started (:

1)How many images would you get for an object that is placed between two mirrors placed at an angle less than 90(degrees)?


I could not really find good pictures on the internet.
So i tried it out myself.



As you can see,
It turns out that the smaller the angle,
The more images the mirror would produce.
For example, If I were to make the mirrors closer together,
More 'kim!'s will be reflected.

It's like how more people(object) would go to the shop that has more discounts(angle) (:


2) What happens to the images of this angle if it is bigger than 90(degrees)?




Just like the picture above,
The bigger the angle, the lesser the 'kim!'s.
As for my own experiment,
I did not get more then 4 reflected images if the angle was over 90degrees.

You might think I'm going to add a catchy phrase here.
But I'm not going to.
Because I can't think of anything.

3) How do mirrors produce funny images?



A slight curve along only one axis can make a person look fat or skinny.
To make you look thin, your image needs to be compressed horizontally or extended vertically.
So for those who wants to be thinner, bend you mirror.
If the center bulges out a little bit, you will appear shorter.
but your size will not be changed.
This can make a person look fatter than in real life.
If the center bends back a little, then you may look taller without looking any bigger.

Most mirrors bend over time.
So if you feel fatter/thinner/taller/shorter then you are supposed to be,
Buy a new mirror.

So the next time someone looks in the mirror and says:
"Does this dress make me look fat?"
or
"I think these jeans make my butt look big"

Just tell them to buy a new mirror.


*extra information*
Ever heard of a kaleidoscope?
It's a tube-shaped thing that allows you to see mesmerizing patterns.
It also uses Reflections from the mirror to create a repeated pattern.
If there were no mirrors in the kaleidoscope,
All you would see is sparkling things.








Credits:
Wikipedia
webb.nmu.edu
newton

No comments:

Post a Comment